Friday, May 24, 2013

365 Days Down!


One year ago today my flight landed in Uganda. It was late and I was exhausted. To be honest it was a bit terrifying and overwhelming but I was also extremely excited that I was finally living such a big adventurous life. This is a short short summary of my Peace Corps life over the past year…

In one year I…

…Moved to a country in Africa (Uganda more specifically)
…Met some A-mazing individuals
…Lived with a host family
…Tried to learn a new language
…Immersed myself into an unfamiliar culture
…Milked a cow
…Got tricked into watching a chicken being murdered (for dinner)
…Swore in as a Peace Corps Volunteer
…Moved into my own ‘house’
…Painted my house whatever color I wanted
…Got a cat
…Got stitches
…Traveled to Tanzania with my brother
…Spent Christmas on a tropical island
…Swam with dolphins
…Snorkeled through a coral reef
…Cooked on charcoal for 3 months
…Heard my voice on the radio (I was interviewed for my school)
…Got my house broken into
…Went on a safari (a few actually)
…Avoided getting a serious illness
…Got my phone stolen
…Caught sight of some incredible birds
…Discovered my like for teaching
...Pet a rhino
…Instructed a fitness class
…Was a camp counselor
...Got jammed in a car with 13 adults
…Became a pro at using a pit latrine
…Rafted on the Nile River
…Ate a grasshopper
...Got lost in a traditional canoe on a lake full of islands
…Started new relationships
…Head-butted a baby goat
…Adapted living without running water or electricity
…Integrated into a community
…Started reading Harry Potter
…Felt like I was making a difference in someone’s life.

The good, the bad, and the in-between. I have had so many experiences in just one year’s time… what experiences will another year hold for me??

Time to find out!
 
S/SW Camp BUILD and GLOW staff

Going for a hike during language training

watching a cow eat a sac of potatoes...

enjojo

I'm such a pro at cooking on coal

How I decorate the back of my house

Homestay family (Tata wange, Gloria, Me, Mama wange, Vicky)

Why yes, That is a rhinoceros.

Nile Rafting. Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment