Monday, February 10, 2014

The Great East Adventure...

Clearly I understand how much I have been slacking on my blog until this week. I’ve got a page full of reasonably acceptable excuses but will save those for a rainy day. Since my last, more informative, post I have hit a few milestones: a year since I swore in as a long awaited Peace Corps Volunteer, the one year anniversary of me living in my own little self-contained ‘house,’ my second attendance of an All Volunteer Conference. I’ve witnessed the full cycles of the wet and dry season here in the Southwest of Uganda which includes surviving the spikes and lowes of the prices of tomatoes, onions, and every other fruit and vegetable available to me here. The last time I’ve lived in a single place for over a year was my senior year in high school. For nearly 6 years I have bounced back and forth between my parent’s house, college living quarters, and work in Oregon. Less than a year left here in Uganda and who knows where I will end up next and for how long. Wherever it is… it will never compare to my lifestyle here in Uganda. It’s a unique experience and I am trying to embrace it while it lasts. That being said just because I’ve been living in the same small shack for the past year doesn’t mean I have always BEEN there. One of my favorite perks of Peace Corps other than living in a new environment is exploring that environment. I left home with little international travel experience so now I’m just trying to experience things I’ve been missing the past 24 years of my life through this experience and that includes… traveling!

Although public transport in Uganda is far from ideal it is quite convenient (most of the time) to get from Point A to Point B, C, D, E... or wherever your body may desire to travel. It may be frustrating at times waiting for hours on end to get from one destination to another but from being in this country for so long you just learn to bring a book, enjoy the scenery, and just go with the flow. I generally don’t pay attention to anything in order to prevent frustration and anxiety and I call this state of unconscious consciousness ‘Zombie-ing Out.’

I believe I left off with the month of March before gushing about Sipi and complaining about mice (with good reason). That’s almost a year ago. Oops. Things happen, people get busy, and others like me just simply lose track of the time, days, and months. I’ve been living one day at a time… which generally means I either don’t plan what happens next or I forget what just happened. Either way I’m about to catch you up so give me another moment to collect my thoughts… go grab some Jiffy Pop and settle down. (For those of you who are unaware what Jiffy Pop is… it’s delicious so you should Google it and educate yourselves.)

One. Two. Three. March. The third month of the year and one of my most eventful and meaningful adventures so far. On a whim I decided to venture out East for a few reasons: explore, visit other volunteers, and gather Re-Usable Menstrual Pads (RUMPS) materials. I live approximately 9 hours from Kampala where I transfer to another mode of transportation of sorts to continue East. First stop: Jinja. On the 1.5 hour – 2 hour coaster ride to Jinja the front windshield of the coaster I am in shatters with about 30 minutes left in the journey. Due to this unfortunate event we stop… get out of the coaster… glass cuts are bandaged…and 10 minutes later all pile back into the coaster and begin our journey again… at about 20mph slower than we were once moving. Luckily It wasn’t raining and I enjoyed the strong breeze unlike I know most of the passengers. Jinja. Finally. After the long journey I went out to get a delicious PB and Chocolate milkshake. Wish I had one now. Walked around a bit and went out for a few drinks with the nearly departed education volunteers. Later in the night I remember the temperature dropping and the rain pouring down. When we got back I wasn’t quite ready to go to bed so I stayed up on the awning on the roof talking with another volunteer for a while. In the morning the weather was beautiful so I went back up to the roof for a quiet yoga session then headed down the street to browse around a few craft stores for things that I don’t need but got because they were cute anyways. I packed my bag and headed off to my next destination: Tororo. (Aprox 2.5 hours from Jinja)….

In the dusty town of Tororo, located a few kilometers from the Kenyan boarder, I stayed with a married couple who were newly sworn in Peace Corps Volunteers. I’ve traveled plenty of places around Uganda but I must say… The first stretch of road after Tororo is the worst I have been on so far in Uganda. I haven’t had the opportunity to meet them until I arrived and their hospitality was most appreciated. They made potato soup and had a spare bedroom ready for me. It was refreshing to meet new people and hear new stories. 

To Be Continued….

Jinja

The menstruation cycle

Mt. Elgon resort


cow eating a spud

Top floor



No comments:

Post a Comment