Wednesday, August 22, 2012

For your information...

I posted on facebook for people to ask me questions they would like to know about Uganda. Which throughout anytime I am in Uganda (and after) I encourage if you have a question to ask because I know at times I get distracted and am unable to put a lot of detail into my posts or even make complete sentences. So here we go...

  • Do they have cold beer?
    • Yes and No... depending where you are. If there is a steady source of power in a town or village some shops have refrigerators... with cold beer, soda, and Smirnoff Ice. (I have yet to find Mikes Hard Lemonade.. darn). If there is no power or the power goes out for long periods of time and a store doesn't have a backup generator then you pretend its cold.
  • How do you iron your clothes without electricity?
    • I don't. But if I did I would use a coal fueled iron.  (apparently mango flies, which lay eggs on wet clothes and burrow into your skin when you wear them, aren't as common in the SW because of the temperatures so I don't have to worry as much about killing the eggs by ironing all of my clothes)  
  • Where do you go to plug in your electronics?
    • The school has power or if I don't go to the school that day I'll either charge things at Candace's house (my closest volunteer) or go to the internet cafe my organization owns and use the internet/ charge things there.
  • What do you eat?
    • Whatever is in season. The PC gives us a bomb cookbook with some amazing recipes.When I don't want to follow a recipe I usually make soup, guacamole, pasta sauce, steam veggies, or cook some eggs.
  • Do you miss home?
    • Of course I miss home! But I have to keep thinking and knowing that what I am doing in Uganda and the lives I am changing for the better will be worth the two years I miss out on things at home. Even if I change one life. 
  • Are there monkeys outside your window?
    • Unfortunately no. I've been told there are no monkeys in this area... but I do get woken up by roosters and chickens every morning and I occasionally have a goat or cow visit behind my house.
  • What are you learning?
    • Right now I'm just learning how to survive taking it one day at a time; Preparing food for myself, making water safe to drink, washing clothes by hand, walking around town and the village, and re-adjusting to a new place. I'm understanding on a daily basis what those around me must do to prepare their daily lives. I hope soon I will be learning the local crafts, more about the school system when they are in session and absorbing whatever information I can like a sponge.
  • What do you like most about Uganda?
    • I absolutely love the kindness of the people and thee way they care and watch out for one another. The scenery is also amazing. Every time I'm either walking, on a bus, or in a matatu I feel like the landscape is so untouchable in its beauty. Its almost so unreal at times I feel like its the backdrop in a movie or a painting. Plus the goats, chickens, and cows wondering the streets never gets old.
  • Can I com visit?
    • Highly encouraged! Just save up some money first, bring a good camera, and snacks from back home :p
Side note: on my walk to town I saw a boda (motorcycle) driver with a goat on his lap... made my day :) Plus I may get to meet my future cat today! (Who are you going to bug now mice? huh? bring it.)

1 comment: