Saturday, October 6, 2012

Are These Fruit Flies or Mini Flying Zombies?!

Right now there is a war going on in my house... and I'm loosing. Badly. Having 1 or 2 fruit flies in my house has been normal. Its hard for me to live with them but I compromise. But small hoards of 40?! HECK NO! I have no idea where they came from or why they feel like bothering me! What did I do to them? I haven't been in possession of a mango for about a month and I rarely buy bananas. So they can't accuse me of stealing their fruit. I swear every time I kill one... two appear next. Instead of my morning yoga session I've been exercising by high fiving the wall and breaking my poor excuse for a fly swatter. I've got charcoal hand prints on my wall from coming in the house after starting my sigiri (traditional coal stove) and getting distracted on my way to washing my hands by a little black speck on the wall. You must be thinking...'why can't you just leave them alone?'... Because there are so flippin' many of them and I'll let you in on a little secret if you don't tell anyone else..... its actually quite stress relieving no matter how cruel it sounds. I play a game with it too. How many fruit flies can I kill with one hit or how many flies can I get in a row without a miss. I'll even make a deal to only kill 5  and then go back to what I was doing before getting distracted. When I need a break I'll kill 5 or 10 more. Depending how mean and cruel I feel. If you are a Buddhist reading this I apologize for the graphic details. 

Enough about my real life movie 'The Attack of the Fruit Flies' I found some delicious English Muffins in the restaurant behind my house! When I say restaurant I mean made them from scratch ;) Wait till this pro gets home and can make some delicious 'from scratch' food! (I forgot to bring my camera to put up pictures but they will come.) Other big news I got accepted as a camp counselor for Girls Leading Our World (Camp GLOW) in early December! And hopefully some of the girls from my school will get accepted to go with me. I really would have liked a staff position to lead sports but we all can't win every battle as proven by my new little, almost microscopic roommates.

Now I may not be the biggest fan of my cat but yesterday when he was outside hiding under the car which he likes to do (I have faith that hopefully he's smart enough to get out if the car starts one of these days) the matron of the girls boarding and one of the male students I assume were calling and clicking for a good 20-30 minutes. I was cleaning and in 'the zone' so I didn't want to spoil their fun for them and tell them its useless. The matron got some milk for Elend... what a nice gesture... then she leaves and the boy grabs the milk and slides it towards himself. When Elend came down because he couldn't resist milk... what mortal cat could?... the boy grabbed his tail! Now this was my Hunger Games moment... when Katniss yelled out Peetas name in the arena because she thought he died.... I ran out yelling at the kid to stop. He gave me a confused look and let go then I began to tell him 'this is my cat' and informed him how the tail serves a purpose and is actually connected to the spine. More confusion. And with that I turned my back and went back into the house like a grumpy old person with nothing else to do but yell at the kids. I do enjoy Elends company and may smack him around a bit but I would never intentionally hurt the little guy! This was my inspiration... when I start a Life Skills class one of the sessions will be on animal treatment. Ugh. 

Not looking forward to going home and finding a newly spawned community of fruit flies in my house... but will enjoy eating a nice homemade English Muffin.. or Two. 

They may be winning every battle... but I will eventually win the war. Whether that means I kill them all, they disappear on their own, or in 2 years when I leave. 
I WILL win.

 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how much you have available to you, but, if you can: take a piece of fruit and put it in a bowl with some vinegar/soap in it. Put plastic wrap over the bowl, and poke holes in it. Make sure the holes aren't too big. Be sure to put it in an area the flies frequent most. They will go to the fruit/vinegar, and crawl inside the hole. They will not be able to get out if the holes are not too big. If you don't have that stuff, put a piece of fruit in a jar. Next, make a cone out of paper and put it in the jar. Once there are some flies in it, you can take the cone out, release them outside, and put the cone back in the jar inside. We did the first one at my last job when we'd get the flies. The second one, I'm not sure how well would work.
    I hope this helps! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete