Friday, November 16, 2012

Ebola Round 2.... *Ding*



Current Music: Bon Iver

The new Education group arrived in Uganda yesterday so…. WELCOME! That means 49 more Peace Corps... soon to be volunteers! 

I'm going to start off with a little non-traditional riddle.... Why does the Chameleon cross the road? It doesn't really matter because he doesn't make it and is too slow. The real question is what color is the chameleon when he gets run over? Well from my experience... the chameleon is green even though he was crossing the brown dirt road. The poor little fellow didn't even have time to blend in :( I wanted my first chameleon to be walking around but it gives me hope that I will have a chance to see another one. 

Other than coming across a dead chameleon on my walk home yesterday I heard a child running up behind me and thought it was ‘just another kid’ but when he caught my attention my calling my name I realized it was a student from Miranda Memorial (the school I live at)! A few times I walked back with him and his brothers and friend while their mothers trailed behind us. I saw that he was carrying a bag above his head and offered to carry it for him since I’m much bigger and it gives me an opportunity to work out without actually working out. I grabbed the bag from him and we waited for his friend and little brother to catch up. When they got closer I realized that his friend was holding a rabbit by the ears. Strange site but I put two and two together and understood that it was going to be their supper. Unlike in the states rabbits where rabbits are all over the place I have yet to see a wild rabbit hopping around. If you want a rabbit here you go to the market and get one that was raised on a farm and is destined to end up as someone’s supper. Any other day or place before yesterday it may have bugged me the way he was holding the rabbit but he just saw it as food and in that moment I understood. I also grabbed his bag and he started holding the rabbit more ‘proper’ because I freed up his other arm. At first I thought it was dead… but his eyes were still open so I gave him a little pat on the head…. I need to stop petting dinner. Its a bad habit to get into and I just get attached to fuzzy and feathered things sometimes. We walked in silence for the walk back… me in front carrying 2 bags and being trailed by 3 children with a rabbit… must have been a site. By the look of the boda drivers passing faces and their passengers I’d guess they enjoyed it. There was something about the walk that just made me feel so… at ease and relaxed. Speaking of chameleons… I had a legit lizard you’d buy from a pet store in my pit latrine and when I came back from training last week…. a BIG…. FAT…. Black Widow!!! When I sprayed the crap out of him and he dropped to the ground I noticed the red hourglass plastered to his abdomen. Gave me the creeps.

About 10 minutes ago I'm sitting next to Candy while she's enjoying a veggie samosa... in the middle of a bite she hold out her hand 'what...what is this?'..... 'I don't know what is it?'.... 'Its a piece of foam!'.... 'That's one dirty piece of foam.'..... Then I started to realize.... you could commit any crime in Uganda and hide your evidence in a samosa Nobody would ever know.  

News Update: 
As of earlier this week there has been yet another what? Ebola outbreak! Not in my town though. I’m starting to forget the name of the months and call them the name of the outbreak that occurred during that time…. September, October, November = Ebola, Marburg, Ebola2…. Does this always happen or is it just now?

Anyways… the holiday season is upon us and the school kids are out soon! Plus, I have a Turkey to eat next week! Only A month until my brother arrives!!! I’m SOOOOO STOKED!!!!

Oh Uganda. I just have to wake up and remember sometimes that TIA (This is Africa) and I live here!

No comments:

Post a Comment