Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Its Snot so Bad,,,,

Saturday and Sunday I managed to be a lazy bum while inhaling cough drops and sucking vitamins out of  what Ugandans call oranges. Most citrus (lemons, limes, and oranges) are green on the outside so you distinguish them by the roughness of the peel and size of the fruit. Its a good thing I can handle sour and that limeade is my favorite thing to drink on this planet so far because I have yet to hone my citrus picking skills and bought limes instead of oranges! I did some laundry and due to the rain it took a few extra days to dry but now I know all the soap is out of the clothes. I also decorated my gas tank because... my life is so much easier now... I'm not sure if I actually like how easy it is when I have nothing else to do with all my free time. A normal person would be ecstatic but at least starting my sigiri gave me something to get up for earlier each morning.

Monday I got up, stepped over my snot rags, took a cold bucket bath, and headed to school. I sat in the headmasters office (my promised office has been occupied since I got here) in a chair in the corner while charging my laptop and googling things. About every 30 seconds I either had to sneeze, wipe my eyes because they were tearing up so much, or blow my nose. The only thing I accomplished while being there was to get the headmaster and director interested in starting some after school groups for the kids. But the term just ended so its a thought for the new year in February. It was a miserable 3 hours of nothing but sharing that simple idea. At noon I left to go make some soup and ended up watching an episode of Game of Thrones and playing Ceasar III until I conquered my virtual components. Actually it was more pathetic because I had no opponents and just spent 2 hours building an amazing Roman empire! The things I get to do over here. At 4 pm I went back to school to re-charge my laptop and sit some more. I actually got a few good and relevant Google searches in when the children started coming into the room... touching me... and then running away giggling. I just ignored them at first but after 3 times how could you? I need to set boundaries with the kids but its hard because I'm not there often and I understand their 'white person' curiosity but... boundaries are coming out so beware kids!

My life moves very slow here... mpora mpora (slowly slowly).

Here are a few new things I noticed about my cat in the past week through careful observations:

When I prepare meals to cook and Elend looks up at me and meows he also gargles. I like to pretend when he's purring that its actually him snoring.. And when he slides down my tin roof once a day I hope he enjoys it because its the closest thing he or I will ever get to snowboarding in the next 2 years of my life.

On a good and happy note I may be getting the women's groups involved in the selling and distribution of personal solar lights in the villages if they show interest. This will provide them with some form of income! Plus they can use these lights to work on their crafts at night! BINGO!
The stampede on my bookshelf

Such a happy Tank

This is where I get to cook my meals

Weasel Baby Shower prompt I drew during PST

Another prompt during PST

A professional picture of my Ugandan parents :)

1 comment: