Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Shake it Up in here!



Song: Shake it out – Florence and the Machine

About 20 minutes ago I’m on the phone with my friend Georgie from back home and while I’m standing in my bedroom talking I hear the tin roof start to crackle a bit so I assumed Elend was on the roof… like normal. I noticed that it couldn't be Elend because the tin is crackling from not just one sot but throughout the entire house! Then I noticed the ground shaking and I there were a million things going through my mind! Should I get out of the building… will it hold up… Where do I go? I was just frozen on the phone. The whole house was shaking and I noticed little bits of concrete crumble off the wall. How much longer is this going to last? Is this going to get any worse? If I go outside is that even safe since it is after dark and it is known around here that you stay inside when it gets dark out? I’ve felt earthquakes in Michigan before… but it’s such a slight shake that if you’re not sitting or lying still then you would never notice it. I’ve never felt an earthquake this powerful before! It never occurred to me that earthquakes would happen along the Albertine Rift Valley where I live. I suppose it caught me off guard and shook me up… ha… no pun intended. I’m still a bit…. shakey :p I am NEVER living where these things happen all the time. Give me my Michigan back! I think I may have cried if I wasn’t on the phone with someone… I was all by myself. My Supervisors and the family went to go visit their very ill brother in law in Kampala earlier this week and haven’t returned yet so I was alone during this earthquake (other than being on the phone). The kids were even gone at the school to eat supper. 

After all of that excitement…. let us talk about another first I had this week. I doubledutched with a jump rope! I am horrible at it and Irene (the 10 year old Ugandan we taught) is of course a natural at it. But I’ve never done double-dutch  when I was younger… it was really hard but fun! After all this time.

I’ve been really bored lately. A few days ago I taught some little kids how to play tic-tac toe. They weren’t as excited about it as I was… but in time they will realize how awesome of a game it is. I also tried to feed the little orphaned goat that the grandmother here usually feeds… I mixed up some milk and put it in a water bottle. I poked a hole in the top of a balloon and attached it to the water bottle. I could tell the little guy was hungry but he must have looked past my tricks and noticed that it was powdered milk. Sorry I didn’t go milk the cow but this it was I’ve got! He could take it or leave it… and he left it… so Elend got it. 

Thanksgiving meal in 2 days with an amazing group of volunteers… can’t wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment